Aliens in This World

An ordinary Catholic and a science fiction and fantasy fan.

Tuesday, July 27, 2004

A Few Thoughts on Movies



There's a long essay that's been passed around since shortly after 9/11, which you can read (among other places) over at Emigre with Digital Cluebat. Here's the parts I found interesting, with a little comment by me in italics.




I sat in a movie theater watching "Schindler's List," asked myself, "Why didn't the Jews fight back?"

Now I know why.

I sat in a movie theater watching "Pearl Harbor" and asked myself,"Why weren't we prepared?"

Now I know why....



I sat in a movie theater watching "Triumph of the Will" and asked myself, "How could people fall for a movie full of crap?"

Now I know why.


... I sat in a movie theater, watching "Saving Private Ryan" and asked myself, "Where did they find the courage?"

Now I know.

We have no choice. Living without liberty is not living.


In related news, a vintage film find. Heh.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home