Aliens in This World

An ordinary Catholic and a science fiction and fantasy fan.

Thursday, April 22, 2004

Anime Singable Translation: "Coppelia's Coffin" from Noir



Again, this takes a few liberties for the sake of filling up syllabobbles. Otherwise, it's not bad. Note the Eucharistic theme! In the opening credits, the song at first seems fairly harsh and critical of Christianity, but when you hear the whole song, it ends up supporting it. But I never really doubted it; the cry of "Kami" in the song is heartrending.




Coppelia ni Hitsugi (Coppelia's Coffin)
Noir opening song
Sung by: Ali Project
Lyrics: Houno Arika
Composition/Arrangement: Katakura Mikiya
Singable translation: Maureen S. O'Brien, 4/22/04
(after the DVD subtitles and Elwen Skye at animelyrics.com)

CH1:
Coppelia's encoffining --
All the tears that once were flowing have completely gone dry.
Loneliness thirsts for blood-drinking.
Death is dancing -- with him, bringing
The perfume of angels' hair and angels' wings.

(Wa-a-a-ah)

In the town where the sun is black
And it never is setting,
People look like a magic trick;
That's how silently folks keep working.
Walls of metal that close me in
In the room they're enclosing --
As soon as I lay down my head
I sleep like the dead till it's morning.

I look for You. I can't see You,
Not with these eyes. I can't see You,
God who created us all from the rocks and clay.


CH2:
Coppelia's encoffining --
All those people are just dolls who've tired out from the dance.
Lamb on the altar, Offering --
You can see the clockwork dreams
All the mechanics of their schemes -- where will they go?

Prophecies of Apocalypse
Are what they're now announcing.
On the doors of the neighborfolk
Who live near, I hear soldiers pounding.
Folded fingers, there's thousands there
Like birds with folded wi-ings,
But it's only their many prayers,
That can fly to the sky, arising.

I look for You - I can't meet You,
Not around here. I can't meet You,
God who can save us, o God who can set us free.


CH1:
Coppelia's encoffining --
All the tears that once were flowing have completely gone dry.
Loneliness thirsts for blood-drinking.
Death is dancing -- with him, bringing
The perfume of angels' hair and angels' wings.


(Instrumental)

But even so -- I want to touch,
And with these hands -- I want to clutch,
The one and only Love that is protecting us.


CH3:
Coppelia's heart pulsating --
Oh, the thing is, to be living is to be feeling pain.
Throw off my shoes, go barefooting,
And without a single doubt,
I will set out to wear that footpath down again.


CH4:
Coppelia's encoffining --
O light waking in the darkness, springing forth like the dawn,
Lamb on the altar -- offering,
What about the clockwork dream
Whose spring has run down, poor machine? Where will it go?



* "encoffining" -- Instead of 'coffin'. It's all for the syllables and rhyme, I swear.
* "angels' hair and angels' wings" -- The DVD seemed very sure about it being feathery down from angels' wings, but everybody else seems to think it's angel hair. I combined them for peace of mind.
* "as soon as I lay down my head" -- Added.
* "from the rocks and clay" -- "Pebbles" in the original. Shrug.
* "Lamb on the altar" -- The original says "sheep". I don't know if there's a word for "lamb" in Japanese, and if there is, if it fits the scansion.
* "All the mechanics of their schemes" -- Added.
* "Like birds with folded wings" -- The original just says "folded like wings" and was probably making another angel image, but I couldn't figure out how to make that fit.
* "That can fly to the sky" -- Added.
* "Coppelia's heart pulsating" -- The original had "Coppelia's heartbeat".
* "go barefooting" -- Added.
* "springing forth like the dawn" -- Added.
* "poor machine" -- Added.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home