Aliens in This World

An ordinary Catholic and a science fiction and fantasy fan.

Tuesday, December 16, 2003

Adventures in Hymnwriting!



This is obviously not very churchy, and the parody is a pretty obvious one. But I think people might like singing it.




Gethsemane Garden
Lyrics: Maureen S. O'Brien, after Yeats and Irish trad.
Music: "Down by the Salley Garden", Irish Trad.

'Twas in Gethsemane garden that He and I did meet.
He said, "Please watch beside me," but I slept at His feet.
I went out and betrayed Him as I kissed Him like a friend,
And I, being proud and foolish, did harm I could not mend.

I followed Him out of the garden, and denied Him before cockcrow.
I slapped and mocked and marched Him through the town streets, to and fro.
And I asked, "What's truth?", not listening, and then I washed my hands;
And I, being scared and foolish, "Crucify him!" I did demand.

I flailed Him, then I crowned Him with thorns pressed on His head.
And then I crucified Him, to hang till He was dead.
But He said, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do!"
So I, being cruel and foolish, did more to prove that true.

'Twas in the graveyard garden, back to me then He came.
I thought He was the gardener, till He called me by name.
And I thought I'd done things to him that He could not forgive;
But He, so wise folk think him foolish -- said He'd died so that I could live.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home