Aliens in This World

An ordinary Catholic and a science fiction and fantasy fan.

Sunday, December 14, 2003

Eglerio!



Naturally, I am glad that Saddam has been captured -- alive, which makes it even sweeter. He doesn't realize quite how lucky he is. Unlike Hitler, Stalin, and Mao, or his own sons, he's going to have time to repent of his deeds before he goes to meet his Maker. (And yes, we should love our enemies. But we should also love to see them caught!)



Today is Gaudete Sunday -- the third Sunday of Advent, when all the dark warnings that one should mend one's ways before God comes again are broken by the command to "Rejoice!" Our pastor didn't actually mention Saddam's capture, but I thought he got rather into the "Rejoice!" portion of his homily. Imagine my surprise when a lady at the bus stop told me what'd happened! (Heh-- I was so dead this morning that there was no point turning on the news. I doubt I would have comprehended the news programs if I had.)



The people of Iraq have lived in the darkness for many years. I do not think they were indecorous to scream and shout and dance with joy. Indeed, I think they were right to open their hearts and rejoice, for God has done great things for them and means to do more. It is an honor for the US, the UK, and the other gallant members of the Coalition to have been of service to the Iraqi people. It is a shame that we didn't do something about it before. But what matters now is what we do tomorrow -- and what we do today. Enjoy the moment, everyone. To quote Tolkien:




And the Tree that was withered shall be renewed,
and he shall plant it in the high places,
and the City shall be blessed.

Sing all ye people!


And the people sang in all the streets of the city.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home