Aliens in This World

An ordinary Catholic and a science fiction and fantasy fan.

Monday, February 17, 2003

Justified and Not So Ancient



This has been the kind of day that seems to justify my existence. I started a bit slow -- I was still asleep at 7:15 this morning when my boss called to tell me that we weren't supposed to come into work until 10 AM. But sleeping in did me good. I woke up a bit slowly (my apartment's temperature was down to 62 or less), but I finally rolled out. I traversed the nearly-trackless wastes behind my apartment building and the unplowed parking lots. I stood aside to let a truck pass along one of the office complex's lanes, only to see the gentleman getting out at Goodyear. He told me he would've given me a lift if he'd known we were going to the same place! But I went on and further on, only to find a truck stalled (and facing backwards) at the bottom of the hill right before work. So I helped push, as did a black gentleman, and finally we got the guy dug out. That's how we get through winter around here.



We're going through something colder than winter, right now, with more malevolent foes than snow. But working together will get us through that, too.



So I got a lot done at work, came home, and found the apartment temperature was 64 degrees. Now it's up to 67, so I guess those repairmen really did come today. I went to the store on the corner and picked up some milk, orange juice, and tissues. (I didn't have tissues all weekend, and it was driving me crazy. Especially since the store on the corner was closed due to the storm.) I watched Mass on EWTN, which made me feel a bit better. (Wish I'd thought of that yesterday.) I got asked to join a prayer list for a friend (of course I said yes; I was praying for the lady already). I caught up a bit on my website, ate a good dinner, and generally feel pretty good for a Monday. Tomorrow I'll wake up and get to play in the snow some more!



My Single Qualm about Latin Masses



About that EWTN Mass...I did find the sudden discursions into Latin a bit surprising, especially since they weren't just the catchphrases I know. Nothing like trying to translate chanted Latin in your head in real time when you don't know all the vocabulary, even. (Caesar was not talking about the same stuff the Mass does.) Spanish Mass is a lot easier to follow, believe me. But it is still the same Mass, so even if I don't know what they're saying exactly I do know what they should be saying at that point. So I probably shouldn't stress so much about it.



BUT I DO! I WENT THROUGH TWO YEARS OF LATIN AND NINE YEARS OF RELIGION CLASS AND CCD! SO WHY DO ALL THESE OLD PEOPLE KNOW THIS STUFF BY HEART AND I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT'S BEING SAID!??!



*pant pant pant*



And why don't they at least run Latin subtitles at the bottom of the screen? I can translate stuff I see a lot faster.... Well, okay, that is a bit visually tacky. But it's not like they make Missals anymore...or at least, I've never seen a new one that had Latin stuff in it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home