Aliens in This World

An ordinary Catholic and a science fiction and fantasy fan.

Sunday, September 11, 2005

The Saddest Day of the Year



I avoided watching cable again today. I didn't want to watch Katrina coverage, and I didn't want to watch 9/11 coverage.

I don't need to remember. I need to find some way to forget.

So today I did chores and read a Daisy Dalrymple and watched The Band Wagon, and tried to pretend that things were normal again when really, they never were. They hadn't been for years before that day. We forgot, that's all.

So then I watched Walter Huston in Abraham Lincoln, and now I'm watching 49th Parallel. There's a surprising amount of comfort in watching movies that know a war's a war.

But the homily today still needed to be about forgiveness, and the sky today was still that same September blue. And it still hurts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home