Aliens in This World

An ordinary Catholic and a science fiction and fantasy fan.

Monday, August 29, 2005

After Katrina



Well, the hurricane's dwindling into just another storm. The rain's coming our way to end our drought. (And my Nawlins uncle and aunt did indeed bug out -- all the way to family in Atlanta. I slept a lot better last night.)

I was glad to see St. Louis Cathedral in New Orleans come out okay (minus a couple of oldtimer oak trees). It looks like Biloxi got hit hard -- yeah, it really looks like Xenia. That same unsettling mix of destruction here, houses standing there. (And my aunt and uncle have houses both in New Orleans and Mississippi...oops.)

But the people of Xenia rebuilt, and so can Biloxi. I promise.

Meanwhile, here's a prayer from Ohio for you Mississippi folks, since your state patron saint is Our Lady of Sorrows:



Dearest Mother, before you could become the Consoler of the Afflicted, you first had to know true sorrow. I pause with you now, and meditate on that great suffering in your life, the death and burial of your most beloved Son.

Oh, how humble I am, dear Mary, when I see before me your Son in the tomb. He gave His life so we may know freedom from sin. Remind me always that any suffering in my life is passing, just as the suffering you experienced passed in the joy of the Resurrection.

Holy Mary, Mother of Sorrows, I mourn with you, knowing the certain joy of your Son and His gift of everlasting life. Through this act of His, you have become our Mother of Consolation. Amen.



May every tear be wiped from your eyes, and may your skies be clear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home