Aliens in This World

An ordinary Catholic and a science fiction and fantasy fan.

Friday, October 22, 2004

Feeling a Little More Confident



This has been a real up-and-down week. Totally great cantoring on Sunday, except when I totally blanked out on the tune of the Lamb of God we were doing (and found out I was on the wrong page, anyway). I followed this up by being pretty on for my Christmas for nursing homes choir on Tuesday night, but going into total brain death and inability to focus on the page about halfway through Wednesday choir (which would be the important one, not to mention the one for which we perform sooner, like every Sunday).

Oh, well. The Lord giveth my brain, the Lord taketh away....

The Russian has been going swimmingly. I'm up to Chapter 4 in Night Patrol (Olga's just changed back into a human) and am about to start Chapter 6 in Tanya Grotter and the Disappearing Floor (Tanya's just had her confrontation with the Ghost King, and has been promised that she'll regret her good deed). But since all of that was mostly a way to avoid practicing for my concert, I've got to step back until after OVFF. Even if I'm dying to know what happens next.

I think I've finally got my setlist all worked out. I recorded it and burned a CD so I could see how it worked (and engrain all the songs into my head even further). The new songs seem to be okay, though I'm afraid they're not barnburners. Rather unexpectedly, I found myself realllllly jazzing up "Banshee Blues". It can only be the influence of that history of Broadway musicals that I've been watching this week. God alone knows if I will be able to be in that good of voice and brain at OVFF.

I need to get more sleep, eat better food, drink more water, take more vitamins, practice more assiduously, and be kinder to my voice. All of which is very simple, yet easier said than done. I'm downright mean to myself, sometimes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home