Aliens in This World

An ordinary Catholic and a science fiction and fantasy fan.

Sunday, September 15, 2002

Out in the Vestibule



St. Albert's is about a half hour's walk away from my apartment. I don't have a car, and the bus doesn't go there directly. (Besides, I don't really want to pay two dollars per church visit.) So I walk. Sometimes the weather is decent. But today it was humid to the point of drowning; I almost couldn't tell if I was covered in sweat or just condensation. So, to spare my fellow parishioners, I found myself sitting out in the vestibule again.



You see some interesting flyers out there. I saw my name on one and did a double take. Apparently someone whose first name is Maureen is doing the Marian apparition thing. These flyers (which aren't approved, I'm sure) are showing up in local churches more often. I still remember the one I found at St. Joseph's, about the woman having visions out at Bergamo. Our Blessed Mother was telling people to watch the skies and stock up on bottled water. No word on whether she also told people to watch The X-Files. You know, I believe that there are genuine visions and apparitions, but these are definitely not the ones I believe.



You see a lot of parents with babies out there. I ended up singing the communion hymn to one of the babies who was getting bored. We both enjoyed it. Also, since her dad was holding her, it suddenly became more meaningful to sing, "'As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you.'"



So there's the whole Church right out in the vestibule: families, people looking out for each other, the odd wacko, and stinky people like me. :) The Body of Christ is a mysterious thing.



Then I had to walk back home. It wasn't quite as humid, but the sun had come out and it was hot. This Body part was very happy to get home to her air conditioning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home